Finding opportunity in gale-force winds
Yesterday, Caye wrote about the oncoming 30-50mph winds (or in super-scientific meteorological terms: dark red through pink) and how we were planning to deal with them. This morning, we have a new plan… we’re going to take those lemons and make proverbial lemonade. The plan is motor about 1 mile offshore this afternoon, set both of our anchors and spend the night learning, crash-course style, about anchor dragging, resetting and how to sleep in 6-8 foot waves with 30-50mph winds…
Just kidding folks… we’ve actually decided to head to a marina in a few hours and tie up in a slip with all fenders out. We’ll stay there until the winds drop to a reasonable speed. Probably tomorrow afternoon or Saturday morning. This option will give us electricity (without needing to run the engine constantly), easy access to dry land for running errands, laundry facilities and an opportunity to get our bikes ashore – although the wind may keep our biking to a minimum.
There is a lot more news – about our river trip planning, mast shipping vs carrying on deck, more visiting friends, farmers market visits and more. But that will all need to wait. There is coffee to be consumed and farm-fresh produce to be found.
Have a great morning!